Also known as cottage cheese or acoustic ceilings, Popcorn ceilings rose to popularity in the 1950s to hide imperfections in drywall. However, as interior design trends evolved, popcorn ceilings have lost their favor, and homeowners are trying to find simple ways, such as using a popcorn ceiling removal tool, to replace them with a modern, sleek look.
If you’re tired of looking up at the outdated and potentially hazardous design and need a makeover, there’s good news. Removing your popcorn ceiling is a relatively simple DIY project requiring only basic tools and some time. Here is what you need to do:
- You will need basic tools and materials that include: Zenith Floor Lifter, painter’s tape, protective eyewear, dust mask, plastic sheet, ladder, painter extension pole, sander.
- Before starting the project, power off the electricity to avoid any mishaps to fans or lighting fixtures. Secondly, cover all of your furniture and decor items lying around the room. You can use painter’s tape to cover the design details of your wall, and lay a plastic sheet or protective cloth on top of flooring, walls, and fixtures in the room for extra protection. It is also important to keep constant ventilation in the room when finishing the project.
- Ensure that you are wearing protective eyewear, a dust mask, and comfortable clothing.
- Now you may begin moving the popcorn textured with an unexpected tool, the Zenith Floor Lifter. While many believe the floor lifter specializes in floor removal only, the tool offers alternative specialties, such as its ability to remove textured material from ceilings. In addition to a painter’s extension pole, the project can be completed without using a ladder & away from falling debris.
- A dry or wet scrape is the most common removal process. For the wet-scrape process, moisten the material to make the removal process easier.
- Use a solution of warm water and dish soap to mist the drywall to lose the materials lightly. Leave it for some time for the wall to absorb moisture, and begin the wet scrap process. If the material is still different from removing, repeat the process. Ensure proper care while scraping along with corner areas, modeling, and fixtures.
- Once you remove the textured ceilings, you might need some repairs to make them flawless. You can repair it with a sanding device, drywall, and paint. Once the project is complete, restore the room to its usual setup.
In these simple steps, your room will be as good as new – a popcorn-free space that is bright & fresh!